You know you’re *TRINI* when..
* Yuh refer to all salt crackers as “Crix”.
* Yuh know the meaning of the word “obzokie”.
* Yuh own a cutlass.
* Yuh know how to “scootch” somebody.
* Yuh can name 3 types of mangoes.
* Yuh call everybody “dread”
* Yuh know what a “grip” is and struggle to keep it under 70 lbs. when yuh goin` back home.
* Yuh know dat to “cuff” and “box” are fightin adjectives.
* Yuh call every bee, wasp, or hornet a “jaxspaniard”.
* Yuh pronounce San Juan: “Sah-Wah”
* Yuh tired of hearin “Who let da dogs out?” cause yuh know de original by Anslem is de REAL thing.
* Old dub like “Ram-Ram” brings back some special memories.
* When yuh leave yuh does “ride out” and yuh coming back “in a timing.”
* When yuh crossing de road, and cars speeding toward yuh, yuh does say “Well bounce meh nah!”
* Yuh don’t look at traffic lights when crossing de road.
* Yuh does say, “Ah tell yuh!”, even when someone else is telling you the story.
* Yuh put salt on every citrus fruit yuh eat to make it sweeter.
* Yuh can avoid potholes with true skills.
* Yuh grow up on Klim, Milo, Horlicks or Ovaltine.
* Speaking of that, yuh remember eating Ovaltinees, Smarties, Catch bars and Cheers candy?
* Every carbonated beverage is called a “sweet drink”
* A good lime is not edible.
* “A beer is a…..” (fill in the rest)
* “Donkey’s years” means a very long time.
* Yuh clap with everybody else when de BWEE plane finally land in Port of Spain.
* Yuh know what coki-eye is.
* Yuh call it a car park instead of parking lot.
* Yuh call chewing gum “tring gum”
* Yuh always seem to meet someone yuh knew in secondary school or dey cousin went to school with you.
* De bone taste jus as good as de meat.
* “Haul yuh tail!” have nothing to with a moving truck….ENT??
* Yuh give directions with your hands… even if it’s in another state (yuh jus go up de road and when yuh see…)
* Yuh go to parties for the food… and the word free never quite had the same meaning.
* Yuh nod your head upwards to greet someone… and sideways when the joke stale.
* Your recipe for making orange juice is plenty water, plenty sugar, plenty ice and only 2 orange… and “ah pak ah red kool-aid tuh stretch it…”
* Yuh say “boy” at the beginning of a sentence and “man” at the end of it… and the words “yes we” doesn’t refer to any people…
* Yuh hate to wait in long lines, a habit you adopted from the days of pushing to get into “pit” to see a movie.
* ‘Priority’ doesn’t have anything to do with what you have to do right away.
* Yuh always turn around when someone says “Psssssssst”… except for when you make out the person first and you’re duckin’ them.
* Yuh say “Soooo looooong” instead of “Yes, I’m done” when somebody asked you if you finished the job already.
* Yuh have “knick knacks” all over your home… and a glass cabinet or a space saver to put them in.
* Yuh put ketchup and peppersauce on your pizza. Anchovies? Yuh lossin it or what?
* Yuh make a drink and ice cream with peanut butter but you never put it on bread with jelly… but you might put it on your dixie biscuits.
* Your cupboards are full of canned corned beef, pepper sauce and red beans and baked beans …and a dry coconut for the pelau.
* Yuh think steak is a waste of good meat. Yuh rather cut it up and stew it with some potatoes instead … or curry it and make roti.
* “What goin on these days?” and “I jus dey” mean “Hello, how are you?” and I’m fine” respectively.
* Yuh think your rum and Carib beer are the best in the world and you hate it when nobody heard of them.
* Yuh put ice in your beer …and you chew the ice when you’re finished with the beer.
* Yuh say “Old Years’ night”
* “Dis August holidays” actually start in July.
* Yuh show disappointment / disgust by sucking on your teeth (steupsing)
* Yuh still call a soda a “sweet drink” and an avocado, a “zaboca”
* Yuh go to the shoprite clerk and ask them “whe allyuh have de breez?” meaning “where is the laundry detergent?”.
* Yuh say “whappenin” even at a funeral.
* Yuh tell the host “Good Night” when you arrive at someone’s home in the evening.
* Yuh wash the “wares” after having dinner.
* When someone sympathises with you, you comment “Yuh think it easy?”
* Yuh refer to all sweet coloured juice as “Kool-Aid”
* Yuh call a quarter a “schilling” when this really means 24 cents.
* Yuh know that using “blue” makes white clothes whiter.
* Just because something is called a “bake” you don’t assume that it indicates the way it was cooked.
* Yuh have at least one relative living in either England, Canada, or the US.
* Yuh know that a washy-kong bears no relationship to King Kong.
* Yuh have cancelled plans because of rain even when you’re going to be indoors …Rain is also a legitimate reason to be late for a rendez-vous… or to miss work.
* Yuh know someone with a gold tooth.
* Yuh know someone with their name either on their belt buckle or their chain.
* All vaccinations are called injections.
* Yuh are able to recite at least one (or several) line(s) from Sesame Street.
* Yuh have been to at least one party where you have seen the sun rise.
* Yuh know the meanings of: “washing wares”; “straightening a room”; “bodice”; “sucking yuh teeth”; “cut-eye”; “hot foot”; “bouff”.
* All dish washing detergents are called “Squeezy”.
* Yuh still give people (youself included) “meggies”.
* A rubber is an eraser.
* Yuh know of at least one person who wakes up at 4am to LISTEN to cricket from Australia / New Zealand on the RADIO.
* Yuh can feel cold when it’s 25°C.
* No matter how old you are, you still call your parents Mummy and Daddy.
* Yuh still eat fries with ketchup AND MUSTARD.
* Yuh call fries “chips”.
* Yuh pronounce words in plural, even though it’s meant to be singular, eg.”gimme ah COKES” or “ah GRAPES”.
* Yuh say “FLIM” (film), “AXE” (ask) or “PITIAH”(picture), “STATELLITE” (satellite), “CUTLASH” (cutlass). .
* Yuh know what “Wukking a 10-days” is, and know darn well it’s going to take much longer than 10 days.
* Yuh know that a lime is not necessarily a fruit.
* Yuh call little kids “po po” or “betah” and your girl/boyfriends “daahlin” or “punkin”.
* Yuh call any ‘older’ woman “Tantie” and any ‘older’ man “Uncle”, regardless of whether or not they are related to you or even know you.
* Yuh could sing an entire Parang song in Spanish word for word, but don’t speak or understand a word of Spanish.
* Yuh know who “Anansi” and “Papa Bois” are.
* Yuh love Soca and know the meanings of RAMAJAY and DINGOLAY.
* When in doubt of how to prepare something to eat … CURRY is the always the solution.
* Yuh know Trinis will curry any and everything (not just meat) even mango, fish, conch, chataigne, etc…
* Yuh can take anything and make “chow” with it.
* Yuh know what “chow” is.
* Yuh can call your fellow “countryman” by an ethnic name and it would be ok, eg. chinee-man, creole, doegs, or pyol.
* When you ask for PEPPER you don’t mean ground black pepper.
* Yuh get “licks” already with a guava whip :(
- whitsypie4 likes this
- mchanelx likes this
- island-g1rl likes this
- ayanna312 reblogged this from tamaraxo and added:
- ayanna312 likes this
- artistic--suicide reblogged this from tamaraxo
- pickyourpoisonpunk likes this
- nefertitibeti likes this
- une-jolie-vie likes this
- thesmellofcoffeeinthemorning reblogged this from tamaraxo
- kingsofpanda reblogged this from badstreetwalker and added:
- badstreetwalker reblogged this from tamaraxo and added:
- aaronpaulsm reblogged this from tamaraxo
- amorle likes this
- mellonkhan reblogged this from tamaraxo and added:
- brownniiee reblogged this from tamaraxo
- bluntsofashion likes this
- guvpx likes this
- laugh0n likes this
- darlingdarnelle reblogged this from tamaraxo
- darlingdarnelle likes this
- gosh-alexis likes this
- damn-amber reblogged this from tamaraxo
- mizzgiggl3z310 reblogged this from tamaraxo
- thatstaar reblogged this from bestrongneverletup
- bestrongneverletup reblogged this from tamaraxo
- allstarshannii reblogged this from tamaraxo
- heelsvsjordans likes this
- heelsvsjordans reblogged this from inthewaterss
- inthewaterss reblogged this from tamaraxo
- nothinlkepaisley reblogged this from tamaraxo
- lovealwaysisis reblogged this from tamaraxo
- littleolekay likes this
- tsiangbee reblogged this from tamaraxo
- tequilablueskies reblogged this from tamaraxo
- leeleebug reblogged this from tamaraxo and added:
- leeleebug likes this
- pickyourpoisonpunk reblogged this from tamaraxo
- fashionri0t reblogged this from tamaraxo
- fuckyeahxmaryjane likes this
- alyakmi likes this
- can-u-relate likes this
- milaapeaaaches reblogged this from tamaraxo
- iamanelfchild reblogged this from tamaraxo
- talis-vita-est reblogged this from tamaraxo
- callmeirresistible reblogged this from versatileimaging
- versatileimaging reblogged this from tamaraxo
- mizmolasses reblogged this from tamaraxo
- mizmolasses likes this